Thursday, May 22, 2008

Transitional Youth

Somewhat spontaneously, I ended up serving chili-dogs downtown this evening to homeless people my own age with a group called Transitional Youth. They're doing some pretty cool things there, the best of which is showing such genuine care for the people who come through.
I never know quite how to feel when I'm sitting in my suburban home after an evening like this evening.
I came, I served, I left.
I'm so thankful for the many people who don't leave, and daily pour their lives into these youth, and I believe that God is at work through and among those who minister regularly and relationally there whether it's daily or weekly or monthly. I've personally seen the act of going and serving change people I know here in the suburbs. Perhaps it has changed and does change me as well.
But I still never quite know what to do with myself.

1 comment:

FAITH CARTER said...

Marybeth,
You knew exactly what to do at the Center, and you did it well. You are genuine and real, and that came through while you were lovingly serving up chili dogs.

You and Amanda made the evening a home run.