Saturday, May 24, 2008

Actual Employment

So, I think I may have received my first "real" post-graduation job offer. Not that it's something that I particularly want to do for the rest of my life...
But the non-profit estate-planning organization for which I've been doing temp phone work has offered to give me a raise for my work between now and my trip to Europe, and then to train me a bit more (and give me a further raise) when I get back; they're willing to use my services for as long as they can with the full knowledge that I'll be looking for other work and may give notice at any time.
And there are no transportation costs, because I do it from home. And I don't have to wear office clothes.
Really, it's sort of ideal.
Minus the whole lack of benefits (I'm a private contractor) and sort-of-a-mindless-job part. But I get to talk to quirky people, that's something. (Even if some of them do accuse me of telemarketing and hang up. It won't be my problem (I want to tell them) when they die and their paperwork is no good because they wouldn't take my call with its vital information.)
The sad part is, though, that I do sound like a telemarketer. I might hang up on me, too.
At least I make it a point not to call during the dinner hour, though.

No comments: