Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Even Less Jobless

I visited a temp agency today. I wish I had known ahead of time that I'd be sitting in there for two and a half hours (and there subjected to the endlessly-looping cheeriness of their informational/promotional video on the waiting room television), but it may have paid off. They think they already have an admin job for me (although, of course, we don't know, because my brilliant and responsible self forgot my social security card, so we couldn't finish the temp "hiring" process, and until they hire me no one else can...way to go, me...-rolls eyes-).
I also began phone calling today for that other temp job I mentioned. It's actually kind of entertaining. And I was "trained" today, so now I can work at home (hello, back porch in the sunshine). I think my favorite part of calling is that I have access only to the clients' officially-recorded names, so I always end up having to ask for "Robert or Patricia Jones" or "Alfred or Constance Smith" instead of "Bob or Patty" (or whatever). I can hear their initial wariness dripping through the phone:
"Hi, is this Alfred?"
"Yeeess..."
"This is Marybeth, calling from Company X..."
"Okaaaay...?"
"We're the people who prepared your trust for you..."
-brief pause-
"Oh, hi! Yeah, this is Al. What can I do for you?"
-friendly conversation ensues-
...
Today also brought a potential dog-sitting opportunity. Maybe with all this I'll end up being a working, productive member of society yet. (No more random gallivanting. Sigh.)

No comments: