Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Amazingly Cool Slugs

I flipped open my National Geographic this month, and this was suddenly staring back at me:I thought they were fake--clay or puppets or something--but they're not. They're poisonous sea slugs. Nudibranchs, to be precise. These particular ones live in the deep sea off the coast of Indonesia, but nudibranchs are found everywhere from Antarctica to the tropics. Neat, huh?
There are tons of different styles and shapes and sizes...you should totally check out the NatGeo gallery of nudibranch photos. Totally crazy.
Anyway.
-------------------------
Photo: David Doubilet

1 comment:

photojhh said...

Wow, those are 30 of the strangest-looking creatures I have ever seen! Your blog entry of May 14th has a very applicable phrase: "There's weird stuff in the world, I tell you."