Thursday, October 9, 2008

Catholic Charities

I met with Catholic Charities today, and it looks like I'll be able to start volunteering with them some time in the next couple weeks. If all goes as planned, I'll be "adopting" a newly-arrived refugee family, helping them with their English homework and general acclimation to North American life (e.g. going with them to the doctor or bank or grocery store to help them figure out how things work). I'm super excited. They're going to try to put me with a Karen family (that's a Burmese people group), since I've already had some exposure to their language and culture. I'll be sure to keep you updated as this next adventure unfolds...

3 comments:

photojhh said...

Cool!!! We look forward to hearing about your adventures! :-)

Jamie said...

We did something similar with Russian families when I was little. It was a bunch of fun (from a kids perspective). We look forward to hearing your stories.

Love,
Jamie and Daniel

Amanda said...

So exciting! :)