Sunday, October 5, 2008

Adventures of a plans-free Saturday

Yesterday was my first Saturday since moving to the city where I had no fixed plans.
I slept in (well, for me), puttered around my apartment, puttered around the farmers market (where I bought a very tasty-looking leek), came back and puttered around home some more.
I decided I wanted to make something delicious (perhaps with my freshly-purchased leek), then realized that we had no food, so I walked the ten-blocks-up-ten-blocks-over out to Freddie's (much cheaper than the nearby Safeway).
There I was asked out by the lonely middle-aged man behind me in line, who was buying dog food, English muffins and spaghetti sauce. ("You and me, the dog park, such-and-such afternoon." I had mentioned I had a dog. I had meant it as small-talk.)
It poured (intermittently) on the walk back, filling the air with the glorious smell of new rain, but also leaving me with uncomfortably damp jeans and the shivers. I must admit, though, that sometimes I like to get cold and damp on such a day, for the sheer contrastive pleasure of pulling on warm, dry clothes once I get inside.
I made some toffee-chocolate-chip cookies (always an adventure with our oven, which burns cookies black in five minutes if you set the dial to the "correct" temperature), and did the dishes.
Then I made a tasty chow mein for lunch, quick-soaked some dried beans, and did the dishes again.
More puttering.
Then I made some refried beans to add to our stock of tasty, ready-made things to eat. More dishes.
Then--I had been wondering how far the walk was to Washington Park from my apartment--so I walked it. It's about twenty-five minutes at a fairly good clip. Almost entirely uphill (my legs can feel that this morning). I puttered at the park. Smiled at the cute toddler in the cow-pattern hoody who was giggling on the swings with his mum. Swung for a while myself. Explored a few trails. Walked home.
On the way home I stopped at the library to peruse the movie section. They had the special-edition version of The Abyss. I decided to re-live my childhood a bit and picked it up.
When I got back to my apartment, I made curry pasties for dinner. I said, "To heck with the dishes." They're still in the sink.
I'd call yesterday a pretty darn good day.
I never did do anything with my leek, though. Maybe today.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. We had a puttering Saturday which was great too. Yeah for un-planned Saturdays.

Christine said...

Marybeth, your blog makes me happy. Thank you for writing it.