Thursday, October 23, 2008

What do I need to know about the world?

At this moment, my life is so-arranged that I frequently have copious amounts of free time. Given that, and given that the university students I see scurrying to and from class all day make me somewhat nostalgic for being in school, I would like to take advantage of this free time (while I still have it) and learn things about my world and how it works. However, there are so many things to read and see and internalize, I hardly know where to begin.

Thus, I am extending an invitation to all of you as my readers (hee hee...that makes it sound like there are so many of you) to recommend books you think would be profitable for me in this knowledge-quest (to help me to narrow down the options a bit). Lately I've found myself particularly drawn to the sciences--probably because I feel like I've had such a predominantly humanities-based education so far--but I'll take recommendations in anything. Especially things that you--as a fellow human being whose world I share yet whose experiences and interests differ from mine--find uniquely interesting, or that you know a lot about and think would be cool for other people (like me) to know, too. Especially non-pretentious, layman-friendly-yet-accurate-and-informative works.

(This is an ongoing invitation, by the way. But you might want to hurry, before I get sucked into the unfortunate and dreaded hectic-ness of "real life" which I'm told conquers everyone in the end, no matter how hard they resist. Bah to that.)

2 comments:

Christine said...

David says, "A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, but I've never read it."
Christine is still thinking.

Christine said...

Let's see: I am still thinking, but here's a preliminary list.

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs*

The Bookseller of Kabul

*I realize you are not married, but it's such a great book, for all your relationships. And the rest of these are just books I like:

The Hatbox Baby by Carrie Brown

Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli (or Loser)

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

Summer Reading is Killing Me by Jon Scieszka

Bird by Angela Johnson

Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key by Jack Gantos

Yes, some of them are children's books, but they're great. You'll roar when you read the Scieszka.