Thursday, February 4, 2010

Tutoring

Tutoring today was quite entertaining. I have been assigned to a fifth grader (who's ten--almost eleven), who seems to be a good kid, and funny. He asked me whether I had a job, then volunteered that, when he grows up, he doesn't want to be a firefighter, or a police man, or a banker, or anything like that. I asked him what he did want to do then, and he didn't know. Just something where there was no chance of being killed, injured or robbed. He also told me, when we were asked to sing a song as a group, that he "wasn't much of a singing kind of guy" and would prefer not to participate. But then an hour later he was enthusiastically performing for me his self-created remix of "I Believe I Can Fly" (pretty good, actually), which sounded suspiciously like something a singing kind of guy would do...

We studied apostrophes and quotation marks using a program in the computer lab, and practiced reading, and then played floor hockey for a bit (part of the evening routine at the learning center: spend the last fifteen minutes running around like crazy people).

When we were leaving he shook my hand solemnly and told me that he was very glad to have met me, and that I am a very nice person. Aw.

Anyway, we'll see how this all unfolds in the coming weeks, but so far, so good... :)

No comments: