Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Spanakopita, anyone?

This just in (as of 20 March 2008):
-clears throat importantly-
"I, George W. Bush, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim March 25, 2008, as Greek Independence Day: A National Day of Celebration of Greek and American Democracy. I call upon all Americans to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities." (Really...look here.)
I don't know how I feel about this. It sort of seems like we're stealing someone else's holiday and making it about us. And what about the other nations represented in our melting pot? But hey, I guess if the Greeks are okay with it...
(Can we make the "appropriate ceremonies and activities" be mandatory spanakopita- and baklava-eating? I could get enthusiastic about that.)
(It's also national Pecan Day, apparently. Do Greek people eat pecans?)

No comments: