Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Zdravstvuitye

Shasta's heart fainted at these words for he felt he had no strength left. And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one.
- C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy

If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them.  And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.
- Luke 6:32-33 (English Standard Version)

Loving people is hard.

I remember a particularly difficult time with a friend at university, where she was working through deep wounds in her own life by trying to control her other relationships (like ours) in unhealthy ways.  Our friendship turned into a series of painful conversations and very high relational stress.  During that time, my desire to love her didn't waver, but my determination to act on that love certainly did.  I was tired, and bruised, and all my efforts seemed futile anyway.

I remember praying daily that God would help me to show his love to her.  It was only towards the end of that season, though, that I realized: I had not been asking God to help me love her better.  I had been asking him to make loving her easy.  I was hoping for—maybe even expecting—some sort of beatific wellspring to appear me, which would make it effortless to be kind and patient and encouraging.  I didn't want to be frustrated and hurt and choose to speak gently anyway; I wanted speaking gently to be the only thing that even occurred to me.  I wanted goodness to flow out of me unbidden.

Since then, I have discovered that attitude creeping up elsewhere: I want loving people to be easy, I want trusting God in impossible-seeming situations to be easy, I want breaking deeply-rooted cycles of sin to be easy...

Yes, I believe that as we grow in faith and our hearts become more closely aligned with Christ, that these things get easier.   But easier isn't easy.

On my very first day of Russian class, I was expected to say "zdravstvuitye."  Ha.  Right.  (Seriously, what kind of language puts that many consecutive consonants in the word "hello"?)  A few months of class, and Russian was "easier," too.  I could whip out zdravstvuityes without even thinking.  The horribly complicated system of word-endings necessary in order to say "I live in a house" instead of "the house lives on me," however?  Again, ha.  And again, a few months later that concept was easy and the next thing was hard.

I'm willing to put in the work and suffer the frustration to learn Russian grammatical systems (yes, I'm weird), yet when it comes to spiritual matters I expect to grow without effort.  I want magically to skip right from wherever I am to perfectly virtuous. 

…It's a hard thing for me to understand, how the completeness of God's work and my own efforts intertwine.  I am continuing to learn how God's power is made perfect in weakness, and how securely I can rest in his grace, and how trying to do and grow in my own strength is different from doing and growing in God's strength.  I do know, however, that we are not promised anywhere that loving people or trusting God or struggling against sin will be easy; in this broken world, those things will be hard.  We are promised help, and comfort, and hope, and sustenance, and strength, and power, and mercy...but not ease.

Loving that friend in college was not easy at the time.  Maybe now, years later, if I went back  as my current self and faced it again, it would be easier.  I'm pretty sure it would be, actually.  But it doesn't work like that.  Now I'm faced with now--the people and situations and struggles of today.  They're still hard.  Indeed, I have the distinct (sometimes sinking) feeling that that "really hard" time was just a zdravstvuitye in my life.  It will only keep getting harder.  Yet, perhaps weirdly, I'm convinced it will keep getting better, too.

Here comes North Carolina.  Praise God that he remembers that we are dust.

No comments: