Thursday, August 23, 2012

Nampa to Salt Lake City

Twin Falls, ID  I was intently focusing through my camera, choosing a position to capture the interesting angles of the trestle, when in my peripheral vision something large and blue went flying off the edge of the bridge and plummeted towards the water.  I about had a heart attack.  Oh my gosh, it's someone's car.

Not a car (thank goodness).  A paraglider.  Then another.  Then another.  All told, four people leapt off the bridge in front of me and gracefully steered themselves to the edge of the river.  Unfortunately the pictures are out of focus, but here's the idea (upper left):

We had stopped at a scenic viewpoint outside Twin Falls to take a look at the Snake River.  It was a good view, but incredibly hazy.  Evidence of recent firesblackened roadside fields, charred bushes, smoky airhas surrounded us on the drive so far.  
It has made the sunsets gloriously rich and red, but has also tinged them with a sort of terribleness, even in their beauty.

Now we've arrived in Salt Lake City, Utah for the night.  Like Nampa, it is so far uneventful.

I did take more pictures at the Twin Falls stop.  Feel free to check a few of them out here.  (They're mostly studies of pattern and color, though, so I don't know how interesting you'd find them...)

On a completely unrelated note:  There's a hurricane headed right for Haiti right now, scheduled to hit tomorrow.  Please pray for the people of Haitiand my brother and sister-in-law, who live therethat there would be minimal damage (or miraculously, no storm at all).  Hurricane winds and tent cities do not get along well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKin1UPQWXU

welcome to Charlotte, Matt (friend of Su Yeon Lee)