Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Kiva

I joined Kiva yesterday, and I'm excited. It's sort of like Opportunity International's micro-financing meets World Vision's sponsor-a-child. I loaned a few dollars to a group of entrepreneurs in Cambodia, who will be paying me back over the next eleven months. It was started by some people who wanted to fight poverty by empowering business-owners in developing countries, but who were having trouble funding the process. Their idea: get lots of people involved with small person-to-person loans. I'll be getting updates on how these businesses in which I've invested are doing, and--since it's a loan--it eliminates the worry that I'm undermining anyone's self-sufficiency by giving them handouts. I get to fight poverty with the abundant resources God has given me, by helping people help themselves. I'm an investor, not a donor. I like that. It seems less patronizing somehow.

Anyway, it's cool. You should check it out.

I think it could get addicting.

1 comment:

photojhh said...

This sounds very interesting! As you may have seen in the Giving Wisely book, it's very difficult to arrange a way for our vast Western resources to not destroy initiative and self-sufficiency in the culture we are trying to help. (E.g. what would happen to giving in our church if Bill Gates joined and started tithing to the church. That's precisely what happens when we dump large sums of money on foreign missions.)

Kiva could be a great way to make resources available, but without killing local initiative.

I have not heard of Kiva before. I assume it is endorsed by some organization I would recognize?