Thursday, January 15, 2009

Success!

We finally met! Well, at least, I met half the family. The parents and one of the sons were at a DHS meeting (which I'm assuming is a Department of Human services thing, although Homeland Security would be exciting, too), so I haven't met them yet. It turns out it's a family of six, with four sons between the ages of 14 and 21. For confidentiality reasons, I can't give their names (which is fine, anyway, because in all honesty I can't remember them yet), but I'm sure I'll be coming up with fitting pseudonyms once I've spent a bit more time with them.

This particular meeting felt somewhat like a kids-meeting-the-babysitter thing (not meant at all patronizingly): the caseworker and volunteer coordinator put us altogether and then watched expectantly to see how we would interact. As if such interactions could ever be natural. The volunteer coordinator seemed a bit concerned that I was so "quiet", like he thought I was going to run screaming or something (my favorite part of the meeting was when he turned to me and said "So, Marybeth, what do you have that you'd like to say?" Uhh...). But I was quiet because it was weird; I think that next time I go, I'll be more relaxed, and they'll be more relaxed, and we'll find something to laugh about, and we'll have something "to do" together, and it will all be more comfortable. Even though none of them speak really any English. The language barrier isn't nearly as intimidating to me as being stared at by the two supervisor people.

The three sons I met today are all in public school right now (grades 8, 10 and 12), and it looks like my main job--particularly at first--will be to help them with their homework. How they're able to do any of it now, I don't know. Maybe they can't. So, homework help, and practice with conversational English. Then, once we "get to know each other," we might be able to go on "outings" (to the library or grocery store or wherever).

Anyway, it should be fun. I didn't even end up getting nervous. (Weird, it's like people were praying or something.) I'll be sure to let you know how it goes next week...

No comments: