Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My new pet

Having a sourdough starter is like having a pet: you feed it every day, look after it, make sure it's warm enough and not sprouting unnatural growths... Of course, you do eat it eventually. But never all at once. So it doesn't really count as peticide. And cared-for ones can live for generations of human life. Don't you wish you could share pieces of your pet with your friends and still have a healthy creature to pass down to posterity?

I am expecting to make some very tasty sourdough bread by the end of the week. - sigh of happiness -

2 comments:

Jamie said...

My Great-Grandmother had a starter that is still in use today. She used it for something like 50 years then divided up between her girls. Crazy!

Enjoy your bread. :-)

Amanda said...

Jamie, that's crazy! I didn't know starters could live so long.

Marybeth, I still think you should name the little creature. ;)