Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 4

I'm sitting in Newton, IA, at the moment. An even more happening place than Rock Springs was.

We spent Sunday night in North Platte, NE, but had no internet access (hence no blog update). Nebraska was flat and snowy. As was Wyoming. As is Iowa. However, I still stand by my earlier assertion that this whole flat and snowy thing is actually quite beautiful in its own way. Beautiful to drive through, at least; I guess it hasn't really tempted me to stop and settle down forever. But it's so cold that the snow on the plains sparkles with ice crystals, and the trees and grass are covered in a thick layer of ice that gives the landscape a surreal sort of glassiness. When the amber afternoon sun shines through it, man. It's gorgeous.

Anyway, we're having fun and slowly but surely making it to the east coast! Good times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am still laughing at the vending machine dress, only you would find this. Good Job!
Love, Grandma

Jamie said...

I am glad that you are enjoying your trip to the East. I enjoyed all the sparkling flat lands last Christmas. It is indeed beautiful. Keep us posted on your last leg into Baltimore!