Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Life's Small Tragedies

I broke my favorite mug this morning.

I tell myself, it's just a mug. Just a "thing."

And yet, it makes me sad. It was the perfect size and shape to hold between my hands, big enough to be a sturdy mug but not so big that it felt clumsy or excessive. The perfect interior-color to tell by tint when my tea was steeped just the right amount. The perfect pattern: just enough of tackiness to leave it quirky, not ugly.

And it was familiar. I used it every morning and evening--and sometimes afternoon--for years now.

Farewell, my mug. You will be missed.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

It is a tragedy indeed. We broke one of our matching blue mugs from the dating days. There was a moment of mourning as we threw it away.

Our condolence on the loss of your favorite cup.

Kathy said...

So, so sad! Those "things" are irreplaceable, just by the fact they are loved and familiar.

Christine said...

I can relate. I cried when I broke my first cake plate.